Full Time | Nanaimo, BC
About the Clinic
Compensation for this position is per the PCN service contracts issued by the ministry of health, compensation (currently) is $150,000 in year 1, $155,000 in year 2, and $160, 000 in year three with a 3-year contract length and expectation of contract renewal. Updated contracts are under negotiation and there may be changes in reimbursement,.
The Nexus Primary Care Clinic is a Nurse-Practitioner-led primary health care clinic in Nanaimo, British Columbia. We are looking for a Nurse-Practitioner to join our team. Join us in building healthier communities along with our multidisciplinary, collaborative team. Our clinic is operated by the Nexus Patient and Community Care Society (non-profit organization) in partnership with the Ministry of Health and Island Health.
Our team consists of 7 full and part time nurse practitioners, 2 registered nurses, a social worker, a mental health clinician and a wonderful MOA staff and our clinic manager. We have embraced a team-based care philosophy and we meet weekly for patient rounds and to optimize clinic processes. We have developed a great workplace culture and we are committed to maintain and improve our culture. We value all voices on the team and believe that great ideas can come from any team member.
Nanaimo, a mid sized city located on the East Coast of Vancouver Island offers a beautiful place to live and recreate. If you haven’t tried island living yet, we highly recommend it!
In this service contract position, the Nurse-Practitioner will work as part of a cohesive team with their own unique role and scope in the provision of patient care, working collaboratively to make sure that the patients’ needs are met in the most effective way possible. This Nurse-Practitioner Primary Care Clinic models the attributes of:
- Inter-professional team collaboration
- Patient care and team culture is driven by our organizational values, which include: Kindness, Trust, Respect, Gratitude, and Safety
- Patients are attached to a most responsible provider within the clinic and will have access to other care providers most appropriate to meet their health needs
- Appropriate same day access, as can be appropriately accommodated and some outreach is expected
- Comprehensive assessment of patients including diagnosing diseases, disorders and conditions
- Initiate treatment including health care management, therapeutic interventions and prescribe medications
- Provide medical coordination and participate in multidisciplinary team planning for the ongoing health needs of patients
- Participate in the development and operation of a team-based practice to enhance overall care provision that include, but is not limited to: health promotion/disease prevention, chronic disease management, specialty care of specific populations (e.g. transcare, people struggling with substance-use, frail elders, pediatric)
- Clinical teaching/preceptorship
- Clinical administrative services including: panel management, participation in clinic policy review and development, reviews of incidents, quality improvement initiatives
- current or anticipated provisional/practicing registration as a Nurse-Practitioner with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Relevant, clinical nursing experience
- Ability to work in a trauma informed capacity
- Completion of BCCNM approved controlled drug and substance prescribing course
- Additional advanced skill and competencies will be considered with the goal of building a team of NPs with diversity in expertise. Some of these could include: Advanced prescribing e.g. Opioid agonist therapy, Antiretroviral therapy; Advance procedures eg. IUD insertion, advanced wound debridement; Advanced practice with specialty populations.
Expectation of rotating call coverage and rotating Saturday clinics are expected.
Expectation for offering some early morning or limited after hours appointments (our clinic is open 830AM-6PM Monday to Thursday, 830AM-430PM on Fridays, and 900AM-100PM on Saturdays).
We offer in -person, video and phone appointments. Providers will be expected to offer 3 in clinic days per week.
Job Application Methods
Please send cover letter and resume to Kari Jonker, Clinical Director at firstname.lastname@example.org