Full-time | Vancouver, BC
The Dr Peter Centre is a trailblazer in trauma-informed health care not just in Canada, but all of North America.
At the Dr. Peter Centre, we push the envelope with the vital work we do, through our harm reduction iOATS program, ground breaking research projects and national Community of Practice outreach programs. Our clients are at the intersections of HIV, mental illness, substance use, complex care and chaotic life.
We live and breathe our core values of authenticity, integrity, humanity, self-determination, inclusivity and tenacity. If this sounds like you, then we invite you to join our team at the Dr. Peter Centre.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Clinical Programs, the Nurse Practitioner provides shared and primary care to adults with HIV and complex health issues including substance use.
The Nurse Practitioner is responsible for the comprehensive assessment, and treatment and primary care of HIV, Hepatitis C., and Substance Use Disorder including OAT, iOAT and MAP.
The Nurse Practitioner works independently and as part of an inter-professional team of nurses, dietician, counselors, therapists and consulting physicians as well as collaboratively with community primary care physicians, specialists, rehabilitation clinicians and wound care clinicians.
The Nurse Practitioner is a practice leader assisting in the developing, implementation and evaluation of evidence-based activities that influence the health service and practices
• Diagnose and treat previously undiagnosed participants for undifferentiated disease and conditions within the Nurse Practitioners’ scope of practice;
• In collaboration with primary care physician, monitors ongoing care, orders appropriate screening diagnostic investigations; interprets reports of investigations and analyzes information to monitor progress and plan treatment;
• Initiate treatment including health care management, therapeutic interventions and prescribe medications in accordance with the statutory and regulatory standards, limits, conditions, and employer’s policies and procedures;
• Provide professional mentorship to other health providers and practices autonomously and interdependently within the context of an interdisciplinary health care team;
• Participate in the development of policies, procedures and protocols relevant to the nursing, interdisciplinary care, and health system practices;
• Participate in quality improvement and program evaluation including self and peer review processes;
• Responsible for own professional development and maintaining competence in the position and maintaining a collaborative practice with the program-specific consulting physicians
• Perform other related duties as assigned or required.
Education, Qualifications and Experience
The preferred education, qualifications and experience of the Nurse Practitioner are:
• Current registration as a Nurse Practitioner with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives;
• Recent and relevant primary care experience treating adults;
• Preferred knowledge and experience in the following areas: HIV, Hepatitis C and substance use disorder and end of life care;
• Ability to communicate with clients about health findings, diagnosis, treatment, and self-care;
• Ability to collaborate, consult, and refer clients to physicians and other healthcare providers;
• Ability to assess and recognize population health trends;
• Ability to plan and implement strategies for population-based prevention and health promotion;
• Ability to identify and respond appropriately to legal and ethical issues that may arise in client care; and
• Ability to self-assess performance and assume responsibility and accountability for own professional development, educational, or consultative assistance when appropriate.
This is a Monday to Friday (9-5pm) position. There is an on call component shared with a consulting physician for weekend IOATS.
Enjoy a comprehensive benefit package, including RRSP matching plan, 4 weeks annual vacation entitlement, generous sick and personal day accrual and 13 annual statutory holidays.
You will be entitled to 5 paid education days and $5,000 in educational support annually for ongoing education and conferences.
Current registration as a Nurse Practitioner with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives
Job Application Methods
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org