NPAC-AIIPC NP Council Terms of Reference
The mandate of the NP Council is to:
- provide guidance to the Nurse Practitioner Association of Canada- Association des infirmières et infirmiers praticiens du Canada (NPAC-AIIPC) board of directors with respect to the impact of federal issues related to NP practice in territories and provinces in Canada
- collaborate with the NPAC-AIIPC board of directors in promoting and advancing the role of the NP in Canada
Within the mandate, the NP Council members shall act in ways that are congruent with the Bylaws, Regulations and Goals and Objectives of NPAC-AIIPC.
- The council is committed to the mission, vision and values of NPAC-AIIPC.
- The council is committed to accessibility to NPAC-AIIPC official documents in both official languages of Canada wherever possible.
- Discussions within the council are confidential unless otherwise agreed by a simple majority of the voting members.
NP Council Chair
The NP Council Chair is an elected position as a director on the NPAC-AIIPC board of directors (BOD) for a two-year term. The NP Council Chair shall be bound by the rules and duties of the NPAC-AIIPC officers and directors as outlined in the bylaws. The NP Council Chair shall be a voting member of the NP Council and the NPAC-AIIPC BOD.
The role of the NP Council Chair as per the bylaws includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Coordination and communication between the NPAC-AIIPC BOD and NP Council members
- Coordinate meetings of the NP Council
- Facilitate, twice per annum, NP Council members’ attendance at NPAC-AIIPC BOD meetings
- In consultation with the NP council participate in the development of projects as per the NPAC-AIIPC mandate and strategic plan to promote the advancement of the NP role.
Note: NPAC-AIIPC BOD can attend any or all of the NP Council Meetings
NP Council Members
- As many as two representatives from each territorial or provincial NP Association or Organization which has a membership agreement and/or partnership with NPAC-AIIPC.
- If a territory does not have an association a licensed NP in that territory who is a NPAC-AIIPC active member in good standing can represent their territory.
- NP Council members will hold a current NPAC-AIIPC membership.
- The NP Council members will be chosen by their individual associations but will be, preferably, the association chair, or president.
- Each Association or Organization will have only one vote on the NP Council.
- All NP council members must be a member in good standing to participate.
- An annual fee will be required for any provincial/territorial NP association who does not have a membership agreement and/or partnership with NPAC-AIIPC.
- The NP council may engage subject matter experts, stakeholders to fulfill an objective or goal the council has identified with a majority approval by the council.
- Members of the NP Council shall adhere to confidentiality policy of the NPAC-AIIPC.
The NP Council is a sub-committee of the NPAC-AIIPC Board of Directors. NP Council decisions, recommendations and proposals shall be reviewed for final approval by the NPAC-AIIPC Board of Directors.
Meetings will be held by teleconference call or online meeting, except where gathering at a general meeting or biennial conference permitting a face-to-face meeting. Where face-to-face meetings are called, electronic/virtual means will be implemented, as needed, to ensure that all committee members are able to attend
Meetings will be called by the NP Council Chair. Regular meeting frequency will be determined by the NP Council members, but will include at least six (6) planned meetings per year. Special meetings may be called by the NP Council Chair independently or at the request of any member of the committee.
A quorum shall constitute fifty percent + 1 of the voting membership of the NP Council.
Decisions are made by consensus when a quorum is present, whenever possible. Where consensus is not possible, the committee may hold a vote with the decision made by a simple majority of voting members. Dissension with the majority decision or abstention will be recorded in the minutes.
Decisions may be made by consensus or majority between scheduled meetings by electronic consultation/voting with committee members. The committee must agree to make any given decision by electronic means. The question of agreement to an electronic poll may be included as a preliminary question to the poll question.
Decisions of the NP Council will be forwarded to the NPAC-AIIPC Board of Directors for approval via the chair, before such decisions are enacted. The NPAC-AIIPC Board of Directors will review submitted decisions at the next scheduled board meeting and respond to the NP Council via the committee chair.
Agenda and Minutes
The chair will assemble an agenda for each meeting, seeking input from NP Council members and the NPAC-AIIPC Board of Directors. The agenda will be forwarded to members at least 24 hours prior to the meeting time.
Where materials must be reviewed by NP Council members to complete the work on the agenda, these materials will be forwarded to members at least one (1) week in advance of the meeting where the materials are to be discussed. Longer periods of review may be defined at the discretion of the chair or the decision of the committee.
Meeting minutes will be recorded for each meeting. Wherever possible, NPAC-AIIPC secretary will record minutes. However, where this is not possible, the members will select one member of the council to act as the recorder. Meeting minutes will be completed, reviewed by the chair, and circulated to NP Council members in DRAFT form within two (2) weeks of the meeting. Minutes will not be circulated or posted to anyone outside the council
Approved meeting minutes will be posted on the NPAC AIIPC website, in the NP Council forum and available to members for review.
Terms of Reference Review and Revision
The NP Council Chair will review the terms of reference with the BOD and submit any recommended changes to the Board of Directors for approval midway through the two year term and near the end of the two year term.
Approved by NPAC-AIIPC Board of Directors:
Date Approved: December 16, 2020
Next Review: As per TOR review and revision above.